Come to My New Blog!

If you followed a link here from a comment I made on somebody's google blog, I would love to have you visit my blog, but this is no longer it. While I may occasionally post things here again once in a long while, virtually all my content will be at www.labyrinthrat.com from here on out. If you were curious enough to come this far, why not give me one more click?

Monday, November 9, 2009

More linky goodness

This from INTERN:

-Open novel to a random page
-Read a couple paragraphs, or at most, a couple pages
-Can you tell what the conflict is, or what the character is yearning for? Can you explain, in just a few words, what these paragraphs are doing and why?

It can be as concrete as "she is trying to catch the rattlesnake" or as abstract as "he is struggling to understand his son's anger".

I've encountered more or less this advice before, but it's a good reminder--and a hard pill to swallow.

4 comments:

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

Joe, I'm responding to your comments on Rachelle Gardner's blog---she asked about revisions? You talked about reading groups. I'm glad to read about someone else experiences with revisions. I am so happy I learned this technique----I can't believe how many "mistakes" I've come across while reading out loud. You need 2 sets of eyes though, someone else to follow along, because your eyes will read the same mistake---and fix it in your mind--
Good luck to you my friend---you will be published soon!!!

José Iriarte said...

Hi Kathryn! Thanks for stopping by! That's a good idea about the two sets of eyes--you totally make sense. I'm just not sure I have a willing subject to inflict that on, though. :-\ Good luck to you too!

Kathryn Neff Perry, PhD, MA, LMHC said...

lol---I had to bribe my husband with home made chocolate chip cookies. He's a golfer, plays everyday but Sunday and he gave up TWO days of golf this week to help me with this ms. I'm almost finished---my eyes are crossed, some of the hair is missing from the left side of my head, and I'm sure I've put on about 3 pounds for all the diet vanilla Coke One and potato chips!
Good luck---keep in touch
Katt

José Iriarte said...

Hah! That's great! :D