Come to My New Blog!

If you followed a link here from a comment I made on somebody's google blog, I would love to have you visit my blog, but this is no longer it. While I may occasionally post things here again once in a long while, virtually all my content will be at www.labyrinthrat.com from here on out. If you were curious enough to come this far, why not give me one more click?

Friday, November 14, 2008

Blargety blarg

You've been warned.

Tomorrow is the awards ceremony for the award Lisa and I are both finalists for (different categories, so no marital competition issues). I've mentioned it here, but I don't think I've mentioned it elsewhere.

I am excited about this. Maybe I'm silly for that. It's not some famous national award, and even if I win it, I'll still be an unpublished nobody. But if I win or place, it will still be validation. It will mean maybe I'm not being stupid to think that I'm talented enough to find success as a writer. It will mean that, given a small enough pond, I can be a fish of note. (Which is not to say that not winning will mean the converse; it will just mean that two or three people were better. But winning would still be nice.)

I wish I had people sharing my excitement. I wish I had people who were excited for me, and pulling for me to win. But I've hardly told anyone. I don't know a classy way to say, "Hey! I'm a finalist in a literary contest!" I don't like how egocentric that would make me feel. I don't want to appear to be a braggart. I haven't found a smooth way to bring it up, so almost nobody knows.

Ironically . . . or, um, something . . . someone in a forum I frequent pretty much implied last week, not for the first time, that I'm a narcissist who makes everything about me. So either I'm a really horrible egomaniac, given that I come off as one even when I'm trying to keep things to myself . . . or I should just go ahead and brag all I want, since I'm damned whether I do or I don't.

:-\

4 comments:

ORION said...

I'm crossing my fingers for you!!!!!
and trust me I know how much ANY validation is when you're a writer.
Good on YOU!!!
Oh and Tooloose wanted me to ask you for a blurb. I told him it's best to ask authors who are already published but he really wants to use "...it made me cry..." in his query letter.

José Iriarte said...

*grin*

A blurb you say . . . my name on the cover of Tooloose's book . . . hmm . . .

Why yes . . . I'd love to provide Tooloose with a blurb!

Unknown said...

I have never thought of you as a narcissist who makes everything about you. I hope that means something.

...and I'm pulling for you.

José Iriarte said...

Thanks, Scott. :)